Moulding and trim is an easy, affordable way to upgrade your living space. The difficult part is figuring out what type of mouldings you need. The list below outlines the main types and their uses.
- Ceiling Moulding or Cove – This type covers the area where your walls and ceiling join together. It features a concave shape and can help hide joints.
- Base Trim – Also known as base moulding or baseboard, this type is installed where the floor and wall meet. It covers gaps and enhances aesthetics in any room.
- Wall Moulding – Includes picture moulding, Wainscot cap, chair rails, and corner moulding. Used to protect or finish walls, wall décor, and corners.
- Casing – Covers gaps between walls and jambs. Should be compatible with existing window casings.
- Custom Mouldings – Moulding can also be custom made for specific applications. They can build up surfaces or feature custom profiles.
An expert can help you find the perfect mouldings and trim for your Southeast Michigan home. Contact John’s Lumber in Shelby Township or Clinton Township today to learn more about styles that fit your renovation or new construction needs.
You need lumber and tools to build a house, but you need to fill it with warmth and love to make it a home. We at John’s Lumber can help with the materials, but we hope that your friends and family bring the rest this holiday. We are grateful to be able to serve households in Southeast Michigan. We want to thank our staff, who provide exceptional service to our customers all year round. We hope that our customers, employees, and the rest of the community enjoy a happy and healthy Thanksgiving with good food and good company!
Fall is here, and it is a great time to start a kitchen or bath project. These two rooms are the most frequently used in your home. What can you do to reinvigorate your kitchen or bathroom this autumn?
- Switch to Fall-Inspired Wall Colors
Fall is a beautiful season full of color! Find inspiration in the changing leaves by exploring new wall color options for the bathroom or kitchen. Consider adding hints of reds, golds, purples, and more. Or, add lighter tones and use the darker shades minimally for contrast.
- Add Gorgeous Tile with Earthy Tones
How does your kitchen or bathroom floor look? Earthy tile is a wonderful way to complement the charm of autumn and improve your living space. Take a walk down a stony, leaf-littered path for inspiration.
- Spruce Things Up with Patterns
Patterns are beautiful all year long – but especially in autumn. Find creative ways to incorporate timeless patterns into your kitchen or bathroom décor. Add them on walls, or as draperies, backsplashes, or upholstery on chairs or benches. Chevrons are popular, but there are many other designs available.
- Update Your Kitchen or Bathroom Lighting
Lighting is a key part of any room. Adequate lights are especially important during seasons with an increased amount of dark hours. Consider adding lights under cabinets or work in recessed lighting for a cleaner appearance. Fixtures should be strategically placed to offer practical illumination while enhancing ambiance.
- Add Small Details for that Special Touch
If you are looking for a low-key fall project, consider updating the smaller details. Update your cabinetry or replace outdated handles with new ones. You can also change out your light switch and outlet covers.
Learn more about fall kitchen and bath renovation projects by stopping by or contacting John’s Lumber in Shelby Township or Clinton Township. We can help you plan the perfect update this autumn. Don’t miss out on our Kitchen and Bath $ale from October 6th-13th; up to 55% off all kitchen and bathroom cabinets. We will have extended hours that week and will be open from 7 am – 7 pm (M-F). Our Saturday hours will remain from 8 am – 2 pm.
Windows and doors are a very important part of a home’s climate control system. They may not be connected directly to a furnace or air conditioning unit, but they will influence the performance of each. Maintaining your doors and windows is a great way to cut down on utility bill costs and keep your home comfortable. What can you do to fortify your living space from the cold or heat?
- Inspect All Windows and Doors – All windows and doors in your home should be inspected regularly. Check your doors at least once or twice a year. Windows should be inspected once per season.
- Replace Weather Stripping Regularly – Weather stripping doesn’t last forever. Make sure you go over all weather stripping and replace any that are worn out. Intense sunlight can cause it to become brittle while moisture can cause rot.
- Caulk Gaps in Window Casings – Fill in all gaps in window casings with caulk. This will stop outside air from coming in and indoor air from escaping out. It will also help seal the window so that moisture can’t get inside.
- Check Door Frames for Moisture Damage – Inspect your door frames for moisture damage. This is especially important when maintaining wooden doors. Some places around your home may experience constant or frequent dampness, which can cause mold growth and rot.
- Keep Windows and Doors Clean – A little dust won’t necessarily affect the performance of a window or door, but it will make it harder to see damage. Keep yours clean so that you can quickly inspect for problems. Clear windows will let in more sunlight, which can be helpful to warm up your home in the winter.
If you need help with window and door maintenance or if you’re searching for a replacement, let us know. John’s Lumber in Clinton Twp. or Shelby Twp. can provide an accurate estimate with options that fit your budget and your household needs. If you are in the market, don’t miss our Andersen Windows & Patio Doors Sale September 19th– October 13th, 2018.